The Austin Orienteering Club kicks off the 2020/2021 season with a DIY orienteering course at one of our favorite venues – Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park.
What is a DIY Orienteering course? A Do-It-Yourself event involves participants going to terrain and navigating a course per the order of controls on the map by using a map that is provided and printed beforehand. Control markers are available and in place on or near the designated features. There is no on-site event management while the participant is navigating and no official timing and results tracking. You can come at any time and enjoy orienteering at your own leisure!
The map: Walnut Creek Metropolitan Park; Scale 1:7500 (when printed on a letter size page); Contour Interval: 5 meters; Last updated: 2018.
Address: 12138 N Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78753.
About the courses:
Ø Yellow - has 15 controls and is 3.0 km long. Controls are on trails or very near to trails. Ideal for beginners or those with limited experience
Ø Green - has 12 controls and is 4.7 km long. Involves off-trail navigation and is recommended for those with previous experience in such courses
What do controls on the course look like? The controls are different than regular orienteering competition controls. Instead, you’ll find baseball card sized markers that contain a miniature orange and white control symbol. All the controls are tied to tree trunks, branches or metal poles.
How do I get the Map? After registering, paying and signing an e-waiver, within 48 hours you will receive an e-mail from AOC with a PDF map and detailed instructions. Just print the map at home and come at your own leisure.
Until when will these courses be available? We are aiming to leave control markers in place until November 8th, 2020 however we might extend that if we see that there is stable demand and if park authorities approve. Look for updates on the AOC website and Facebook page.
OPTIONAL…But highly recommended: we will be piloting MapRunF - an app that utilizes a new concept: GPS-based Orienteering. It is a form of Orienteering that uses Smartphones for punching and timing, enables you to view your location in real-time, records your track and your personal result and shares it with others. When reaching a control, you will hear an alert sound. In any case, please look for the physical control marker. This is the future of Orienteering training and we at AOC would like to give it a try. You are encouraged to install and use the app and give us feedback.
How much does it cost? $10 for one map with either courses (Yellow or Green), $16 for two maps, with both courses.
Important: By participating in this activity you acknowledge that you understand that there are risks associated with orienteering activities. Budget enough time in advance to safely complete the course. Stop orienteering if you do not feel well during the course. Mind the park’s curfew hours. Practice recommended COVID-19 restrictions and especially, keep 6 feet away from others. Please note that you are participating in this activity voluntarily and under your own responsibility.
Have fun Orienteering!
The Austin Orienteering Club
Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Indemnity Agreement
In consideration of being permitted to participate in any way in the Orienteering USA member club events, I and/or my minor child, our personal representatives, assigns, heirs, and next of kin:
- Acknowledge, agree, and represent that I and/or my minor child understand the nature of orienteering activities and that I and/or my minor child are qualified, in good health, and in proper physical condition to participate in such activity. I further agree that if at any time I believe conditions to be unsafe, I and/or my minor child will immediately discontinue further participation in the activity.
- Fully understand that (a) orienteering activities involve risks and dangers of serious injury or in extreme cases, death. (risks) (b) these risks and dangers may be caused by me and/or my child's own actions, or inaction, or the actions or inaction of others participating in the activity, the condition in which the activity takes place, or the negligence of the “releasees” named below; (c) there may be other risks either not known to me or not readily foreseeable, and I fully accept all such risks and responsibility for losses, costs and damages, I and/or my minor child incur as a result of my participation in the Activity.
- Hereby accept and assume all such risks, and assume all responsibility for the losses, costs and/or damages following such injury, or death, even if caused in whole or in part, by the negligence of the “releases” named below.
- Hereby release, discharge and covenant not to sue the member club, their respective administrators, directors, agents, officers, officials, volunteers, and employees, other participants, any sponsors, advertisers, Orienteering USA, host third party operators and if applicable, owners and lessors of premises on which the Activity takes place, (each considered one of the “releasees” herein) from all liability, claims, demands, losses or damages on my account caused or alleged to be caused in whole or in part by the negligence of the “releases” or otherwise, including negligent rescue operations, and I further agree that if, despite this release and waiver of liability, assumption of risk and indemnity agreement I and/or my minor child, or anyone on my and/or my minor child’s behalf, makes a claim against any of the releasees I will indemnify, save and hold harmless each of the releases from any litigation expenses, attorney fees, loss, liability, damage, or cost which may incur as the result of such claim.
- I have read this agreement, fully understand its terms, understand that I have given up substantial rights by signing it, and have signed it freely without the inducement or assurance of any nature and intend it to be a complete and unconditional release of all liability to the greatest extent allowed by law and agree that if any portion of this agreement is held to be invalid the balance, notwithstanding, shall continue in full force and effect.